Re: Correct wording of quote - please help

From: Christian Weisgerber (naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de)
Date: Wed Jul 14 1999 - 03:39:32 MDT

O'Regan, Emlyn <Emlyn.ORegan@actew.com.au> wrote:

> I'm looking for the original german (if it is german) for "Your thoughts are
> free", or whatever the famous phrase is.

"Die Gedanken sind frei."

> I don't even know who said it,

That's apparently complicated. According to the Duden volume on
famous quotes it's the first line in a song in the collection _Des
Knaben Wanderhorn_ (1806-1808) by Achim von Arnim and Clemens
Brentano. Later it was referenced in Joseph von Eichendorff's poem
"Verschwiegene Liebe". I guess the latter source popularized it.

I think you can safely assume that it is quoted well out of context
nowadays, like many of these bon mots are.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de