Re: seti@home IS WORKING

From: Spike Jones (spike66@ibm.net)
Date: Tue Jul 13 1999 - 21:17:52 MDT

> Michael S. Lorrey wrote: ...Math is math, and is the same math everywhere in the
> universe...
> ...Additionally, humans have used a
> number of different number bases, including ...a base of e (the natural log)...

Such as when one thinks in terms of time constants. In an RC circuit
for instance, one time constant is the time when 1/e of the voltage remains
accross the resistor. Rocket guys often think in terms of e as well, since
there is "one e-th" as much mass as you started with when your rocket
achieves the velocity of its exhaust.

> or we can use pi as a base (making all other numbers irrational). ...

...Which we do when we work in radians. Make a right turn, thats
half pi radians. You think in pi when you do angles.

Great post Mike. I am more convinced than ever that we humans
have *discovered* math, not *invented* it. Lifeforms everywhere will
have the same ~90 some elements to discover, even if theirs are
in different proportions than ours, and that the great mathematical
truths will be discovered by all exocivilizations, should they exist. spike