Re: SETSIs (was Re: seti@home WILL NOT WORK)

From: m (mt_2@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jul 10 1999 - 00:14:54 MDT

I eavesdropped on a communication..

--- Dave Sill <dave@sill.org> wrote:
> "Robert J. Bradbury" <bradbury@aeiveos.com> wrote:

[...]

> > So, for the SETI@home project to work, as has been
> suggested, by
> > "evesdropping" on similar level civilizations,
> they would have to
> > be within ~100 light years of us.
>
> Or, as has already been pointed out, they could have
> been farther away but
> further advanced: e.g., 200 light years away, 200
> years ahead of us.
>
> > If they are beyond that their
> > signals would have already passed us by. If you

 This very much depends on whether we actually
eavesdrop on normal radio traffic, or find
a purposeful beacon (permanent or in response to our
signals). The ETs' unintentional radio emanation
might disappear as tech evolved, but the beacon
is something that we could count on for a longer term
and over greater distances.

[...]

> Even Joe Sixpack knows that SETI isn't guaranteed to
> find anything. That's
> why they call it a "search".

Indeed. The whole point is we cannot make too many
assumptions. Atleast SETI@home allows us an
inexpensive crack at it.

Mike