Re: jeff's cyborg cells

From: Spike Jones (spike66@ibm.net)
Date: Fri Jul 09 1999 - 23:47:23 MDT

Billy Brown wrote:

> All of the more advanced uses of Drextech will give you a serious heat
> dissipation problem. I've seen energy dissipation figures as high as
> several hundred kilowatts per cc for the more ambitious devices ...
>
> What kinds of low-power applications are you thinking of?

Billy sorry about the slow answer. Ive been on the road a lot
this summer and just now found this in my unanswered inbox.

The Star Wars movie got me to thinking that strong nanotech
could result in a device that is kinda analogous to a neuron, except
much smaller. I imagined that a number of them could interconnect
themselves with carbon nanotubes, thereby forming a webby
cocoon around a mitochondrion, living on a small amount of
excess ATP. If each of these nanoneurons and its interconnection
were made of, say sixty thousand carbon atoms, and there were a
billion of them on the surface of a mitochondrion, the mitochondrion
would never know they were there. The combined mass of the
billion nanoneurons would be about one nanogram. Peach
fuzz on an elephant.