Re: Human minds on Windows(?)

From: Bryan Moss (bryan.moss@dial.pipex.com)
Date: Fri Jul 09 1999 - 07:19:52 MDT

Billy Brown wrote:

> Defects per LOC is the best metric anyone has ever come up with for
> measuring the quality of actual program code, which is what we were
> talking about.

How do you measure Defects per LOC exactly?

> On a tangential note, you seem to think that large programs are
> inherently bad in some sense. Why?

The problem is not large programs but unecessarily large programs. This is
due to the application-based paradigm. The idea that you have a word
processor and each new release has extra features, and all these extra
features add bloat. This is equally true of commercial software and the
open source community. A move to component-based software could remedy
this. But to make coponent-based software work you need to remove the
programmer from the hardware and the interface, and that isn't going to
happen anytime soon.

BM