Re: seti@home MIGHT WORK

From: Spike Jones (spike66@ibm.net)
Date: Thu Jul 08 1999 - 19:49:00 MDT

> > > Rob Harris Cen-IT wrote:...negative results count in science too. Even if
> Seti@Home
> > > firmly establishes that all the radio noise on whatever frequencies

As we say in the rocket science business, one test is worth a
thousand expert opinions. As for the argument that aliens
would likely be so far in advance of humans they would not
use electromagnetic communication, consider that any
advancing civilization would likely *pass through* the
radio era at some time. For that reason, the advanced
civ might use radio to *intentionally* com with us
primitive barbarians. Similarly, they might focus the
signal with a laser and intentionally send them toward
our star.

I am greatly encouraged that we (SETI) have found nothing yet.
It lifts my hopes that humans really are the first ones here,
in which case, aaaallll thaaat stuuuufff is OURS! A more
cheerful thought can scarcely be imagined. Room to grow,
extropian friends, lots of it! {8-] spike