RE: seti@home WILL NOT WORK

From: Rob Harris Cen-IT (Rob.Harris@bournemouth.gov.uk)
Date: Thu Jul 08 1999 - 03:15:44 MDT

> You forget, negative results count in science too. Even if Seti@Home
> firmly establishes that all the radio noise on whatever frequencies
> they're scanning is meaningless noise, this at least gives us some firm
> lower bounds regarding the probable distribution of technological
> civilizations.

No way, they can't even draw this conclusion. They make the unbelieveable
assumption that any similarly or more advanced civilisation will be using
radio waves on a large scale (Like us). I'd like to know why everyone's so
sure of the characteristics of entities we know squat about.

Rob.

the system manager.

www.bournemouth.gov.uk