Science fiction and transhuman memes

From: Alintelbot@aol.com
Date: Wed Jul 07 1999 - 22:21:41 MDT

I just finished a novel that may be of interest to subscribers: "Songs From
the Stars" by Norman Spinrad (who also brought us "Bug Jack Barron," one of
the few intelligent novels about cryonic suspension around). "Songs" begins
as a sort of "dubious utopia" novel, but escalates into something bolder and
more cerebral. It has an overall transhumanist aesthetic and some clever
riffs on pop culture.

Natasha Vita More mentioned in an unrelated post that she was not, for the
most part, influenced by science fiction. As an avid sf reader, I find this
interesting. Could you elaborate on your influences? Sf has always
functioned as a sort of memetic fountainhead for me; transhumanism came along
as a very happy coincidence...though not entirely as a surprise.

Mac Tonnies