Merced+ (was Re: bloatware)

From: Robert J. Bradbury (bradbury@aeiveos.com)
Date: Wed Jul 07 1999 - 20:58:00 MDT

> Mike Linksvayer <ml@gondwanaland.com> said:
>
> On Wed, Jul 07, 1999 at 03:40:00PM -0700, Robert J. Bradbury wrote:
> > Ever consider that one reason for the delay in the introduction of
> > Merced might be the fact that they believe it may be "the last
> > processor you ever need to buy"?
>
> No. Merced will be lucky to be much faster than the fastest x86 cpu when
> it gets around to shipping. The danger to Intel is definitely not that
> Merced will be so fast nobody will ever want another cpu.

I suspect that the marketing people, may have used both
of our arguments as justifications/rationalizations for the delay.

The technical reasons for the delay are more complex I suspect.

I've seen some presentations on the Merced's out-of-order execution
schemes and their compilers (and since I've written compilers, I can
to some degree judge the difficulty of what they are trying to do...).
They are having a difficult time getting the compilers to work (and not
take a week to compile a program). Since what the compilers are able
to do feeds back into the hardware architecture, you can't completely
cast the hardware in stone until the software is done.

I don't want to get into a discussion of whether this is the right
approach (the Alpha for example does much of the work in hardware).
I think in order to provide backward compatability (after all emulating
the stupid x86 architecture is going to take up real-estate that you
can't devote to a Alpha-size cache), they had to make a decision to
move some of the execution-time work done by an architecture like the
Alpha back to compile time. Making that all come together isn't an easy job.

I would argue, that so long as Merced is saddled with an x86 emulation
burden, it will not be a cost-effective competitor to chips without
that handicap. I feel though an un-x86ed Merced (perhaps 2003-2004?)
will be the last processor you need for 90+% of the things we now
use computers for.

That era chip *would* be the "last processor" until the IRAM
(Processor-in-Memory) chips come out to break the memory-to-processor
bottleneck. [After all it is pretty pitiful when 70-80% of your
chip is devoted to nothing but cache!] The people at IBM seem to
have shown this is doable with existing fabs by relaxing some of
the DRAM constraints a bit. I suspect with the new Hitachi-Cambridge
stacked 1 transistor/1 capacitor pseudo-static memory cell, that PiM
chips done in IBM's SiGe process with copper wiring will really crank.
If you combine that Toshiba's "paper-thin chip (130-micron) packaging
you can stack these really close (though now you are back to the Cray
problem of removing the heat). Though by then we may have operational
reversible-instruction-set chip architectures that run cooler to
incorporate into the mainstream. The only thing we are missing is a
clear demonstration of optical inter-chip wiring to handle the cache
coherence for those applications (like databases) that require it, or
those computing models that require need high inter-CPU bandwidth like
cellular-automota.

Yes, the future is clear and it seems like desktop brain-ops by 2010.
The problem will be programming the darn thing with something other
than bloatware spagetti (which is how this whole thread started out).

Robert