Human minds on Windows(?) (was Re: Web site up! (GUI vs. CLI))

From: Eugene Leitl (eugene.leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de)
Date: Wed Jul 07 1999 - 15:06:59 MDT

Robert J. Bradbury writes:

> So are *you* going to upload your mind onto one of these platforms?!?

Jeez, do you think you'll be coming back as a bunch of CORBA objects?

> We better hope the great hope that an AI comes along that can understand
> the whole mess and can untangle the spagetti.

Sir, you demonstrate an obvious misunderstanding of details of the
uploading process. It is much less coding than a large-scale physical
simulation -- requiring a very different set of metaphors than common
to code monkeys. Very little code, a huge sea of data. And sheer physics
will prevent you from running it on anything less than a 10^6..10^9
processor machine.