RE: Solar power

From: O'Regan, Emlyn (Emlyn.ORegan@actew.com.au)
Date: Tue Jul 06 1999 - 20:34:29 MDT

> On Tue, 6 Jul 1999 05:48 PDT bradbury@aeiveos.com (Robert J. Bradbury)
> writes:
>
> Even with the competition, personal solar power
> >will become an affordable reality probably sometime between
> >2010-2020.
> >That will gut the power-production industry.

Also, someone recently proposed (was it Mr Clarke?) that cold fusion would
become a household phenomenon, and kill the power production industry in the
next couple of decades.

Should I be sending an urgent e-mail to my CEO (I work for a network
utility)? Quick! Get into pizza delivery, or something, fast!

It's just come to mind that I remember mention of an idea some time ago, to
extend the national electricity grids into a huge world-wide power grid,
which might sort out fluctuations in supply around the world, make solar
power more feasible (the sun's shining somewhere), and create a global
electricity market where the countries best placed to produce power would be
able to do it. I think it was also supposed to create a magical fairyland
where cats and dogs lived together in peace.

Anyone know anything about this? Come to think of it, if anyone does want to
know more, and no-one can do any better, I can probably scratch up an
electrical engineer or six from this end and get the low down.

Emlyn,
Zaps Taps and Craps company man