chess and the turing test

From: Spike Jones (spike66@ibm.net)
Date: Sun Jul 04 1999 - 21:45:32 MDT

> Freeman Craig Presson wrote: was at USCF 2000 strength, +/- 50 points, and the
> highest ratings claimed by commercial computers were around 2100).

Freeman, are you coming to Berserkely August 7 for Extro 4? Ill bring
my set and clock if you wanna rattle off a few fivers. You will likely
whip my fanny: peaked out at about 1900 several years ago. Now
probably ~1800 on a good day. {8-]

Chess programs are the first task I know of which passes the Turing test.
Using modern chess software, one cannot tell if one is playing against
a computer or an ass kicking human. [This fact killed postal chess.
People quit playing after computers got better than humans, which
happened in the 90s.] Any other examples? spike