Re: Clinton, US citizen responsibility vs Milosevic and Serbians

From: Brian D Williams (talon57@well.com)
Date: Tue Jun 29 1999 - 13:04:10 MDT

From: Elizabeth Childs <echilds@linex.com>

>> I also never understood the concept of civilians anyway since as
>> you pointed out in many cases they elected their leaders. A
>> definite lack of personal responsibility.

>A person can dedicate their entire lives to fighting a dictator,
>and still be stuck in a country in wartime as a civilian. We
>don't share collective, borg-like responsibility with everyone who
>happens to live in the same geographical space as we do;

In a dictatorship they do not share responsibility, in a
representational republic, we do. When China demanded those
responsible for the bombing of their embassy be punished, I was
hoping that someone would point out that as commander-in-chief
their lapdog clinton was ultimately responsible.

>by that standard, the students who died at Tianamen square would
>be as culpable as the soldiers who killed them.

????????

>Many regimes are so oppressive that any public attempts to stop
>them will guarantee a person's death. Under such circumstances,
>it's very hard to tell who supports the regime on the ground; in
>the air, it's impossible.

Many of the Serbs openly supported Milosevic, I agree it would be
difficult to target them individually, but I hold them liable.

>At the very least, an attacking army should make a special effort
>to avoid blowing up the prisons, the most likely location for
>dissenters.

We agree on this. I would like to live to see war vanish from the
human experience, but I would have to live a very long time......

Brian
Member, Extropy Institute
www.extropy.org
Member, Life Extension Foundation