Re: What's the latest at RR

From: Doug Jones (random@qnet.com)
Date: Sun Jun 27 1999 - 19:22:11 MDT

Brian Atkins wrote:

> Can you discuss what is the latest over at RR? Are you employed
> again?

Well, the pogrom is complete (only one propulsion scientist and one
systems analyst remain at Rotary aside from Bevin McKinney), it is
rumored that the ATV will do a hover test this week, and my former
boss' new business card reads in part:

* Project Management
* Liquid Rocket Engines
* Launch Vehicle Design
* Experienced Team Available

I'd say our plans are pretty obvious. For now, I have some
electronics consulting work, an interview this week at
Marconi/Tracor, and I'm working on an SBIR proposal. (I don't have
Walt Anderson's religious aversion to government contracts :)

The "$900 million in launch contracts" that RRC allegedly has is
essentially funny money- the so-called customer is not specified,
but I'm guessing that it's LunaCorp. Since LC is just a one-man
beltway bandit shop and RRC's Washington lobbyist, I'm skeptical.
Those launch contracts and $3.75 in cash will get you a cup of
coffee.

On rereading the above, it may seem theat Bevin was doing a power
grab; on the contrary, it was other people within the company that
wiped out most of Bevin's staff. I enjoyed working with him (he was
my boss' boss), and respect him a lot.

--
Doug Jones, Freelance Rocket Plumber