Re: Having a life

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Sun Jun 27 1999 - 01:59:27 MDT

More myths to debunk:

* Perfectionism is neither obsessive nor depressing, nor does it require
that you spend more effort than would be rational. Perfectionism is a
matter of not pretending that things are perfect when they aren't, or
that any form of imperfection is somehow preferable to perfectionism, or
that any flaw is somehow desirable.

* It's not the struggle that counts, it's the result. If I could just
press a button to get a Singularity, I would. If a goal is worthless if
it's achieved easily, it's a thousand times as worthless if you struggle
for it.

* If you take things seriously, it does NOT suck all the fun out of
life. Not that it would matter if it did.

--
           sentience@pobox.com          Eliezer S. Yudkowsky
        http://pobox.com/~sentience/tmol-faq/meaningoflife.html