Re: Controlling the male sex drive

From: Joseph Bloch (bloch@skyweb.net)
Date: Sat Jun 26 1999 - 17:19:43 MDT

Dave Sill wrote:

>I'm tired of being dominated by my hormones. I waste vast amounts of
>time and energy thinking about and having sex, and I'm constantly
>being distracted by sexual thoughts. Sometimes I think it would be
>better--now that I've sired all the children I plan to--to just get
>out of the sex game altogether. (I'm 39, married, three children.)

Considering that the human male sex drive is the product of millions of
years of natural selection-governed evolution, I'm always hesitant when
someone considers trying to tamper with it. Objectivists would consider
feelings of beneficence and altruism to be similarly distracting; I would
counsel against trying to eliminate them chemically.

Just a thought here, and no slight is intended, but have you considered
counseling? I mean, if it's taking up so much time you can't concentrate on
what your creative and productive efforts, that might indicate more to the
issue than purely physical. It certainly strikes me as an area for
exploration prior to any permanent physical alterations or chemical
therapies.

Plus, how does your wife feel about your intentions to artificially rid
yourself of your sex drive?

Such feelings are, admittedly, a legacy of our evolutionary history, and as
such are possibly not ideally suited to our current technological society.
However, I would sooner adapt society to match our evolutionary
psychologies, rather than trying to change our psychologies to match the
demands of our society.

J. John Bloch

http://home.skyweb.net/bloch