Re: Homosexual proto-extropians?

From: James Rogers (jamesr@best.com)
Date: Wed Jun 23 1999 - 12:58:35 MDT

At 01:02 PM 6/23/99 -0400, Harvey Newstrom wrote:

>Actually, I think more people are into Extropianism for the technology
>fields that I listed. I think that the political aspects are secondary.
>Isn't ExI supposed to be more of a think tank rather than a political
>organization?

Ideally, yes. That is why I'm here at least.

Nonetheless, I've never heard of a think tank that doesn't have some
minimal political bias, even if unintentional. This is why you can have
two think tanks that claim to be working towards the same goals while still
being diametrically opposed in principle. People tend to pick
organizations that are of interest to them AND discuss the topics from a
social/economic/political viewpoint that is compatible with theirs.

On the upside, the extropians seem to be one of the few "think tanks" that
is willing to spend time attacking the premises of these viewpoints
themselves. Still, I tend to agree with general assessment that extropians
are "libertarian transhumanists". If others see it that way, then it has a
political element, whether we want it or not.

-James Rogers
 jamesr@best.com