Re: MEME: First Contact with Extropian Memes

From: Anders Sandberg (asa@nada.kth.se)
Date: Wed Jun 23 1999 - 03:28:43 MDT

"Scott Badger" <wbadger@psyberlink.net> writes:

> When I remembered 2525 though, I was reminded that
> music is another powerfully *engaging* medium useful for infecting the
> populous with Extropian memes. We need catchy Extropian dittys that people
> can't get out of their heads. We've discussed Extropian musicians
> before...I recall Phillip Glass, Robert Fripp, and others....but I seem to
> recall that most of the musicians mentioned were primarily instrumentalists.

One song that impressed me in my early youth was "The Final Countdown"
by Europe. I remembering spending a summer working on a design for an
interstellar multigeneration solar sail craft listening to it on the
radio.

But as for transhumanist lyrics, I would recommend Vacuum. "Symphonic
synth pop" with themes about science, religion and
individualism. Perhaps hard to get in the states, but quite fun:

BIG IDEAS GRAND VISION
(HANSSON/WOLLBECK/BARD)

        Big ideas grand vision big ideas grand vision

        Visions of the grandeur grandeur of the past touch me at the
        bottom of my heart

        Visions of the future tunnels built to last born to be creator
        grand has gone to greater

        Big ideas grand vision big ideas grand vision

        Rock the constitution room is for the rage every generation
        goes to war

        Rise to the occasion grow a golden age born to be creator
        grand has gone to greater

        Big ideas grand vision big ideas grand vision

        Seance af the chaebol Asia's rapid economic advancement will
        outpace the rest of the world's growth

        Making Asia a more formidable influence in the global economy
        experienced managers agree

        That the human element Is the single most important factor for
        business success

        Still the business community hasn 't yet developed a means of
        fully capitalizing on individual capacity

        Big ideas grand vision big ideas grand vision

        Walk across the border cities of the night wide awake we hail
        the rising sun

        Houses of the holy tunnels to the light born to be creator
        grand has gone to greater

        Big ideas grand vision big ideas grand vision big ideas grand
        vision big ideas grand vision

Or their hit I Breathe:

I BREATHE
(WOLLBECK/BARD)

        I breathe clouds beneath my window I see rockets in the sky

        I feel satellites in limbo I breathe oxygen up high

        I load lead inside my engine lead and alcohol on the radio
        depending I sign the protocol

        Hail the audience the media people everywhere in the hours
        ahead I'll see your

        Green Biosphere clean Biosphere castles in the air climbing
        the stair way to heaven when

        I breathe clouds beneath my window I see rockets in the sky

        I feel satellites in limbo I breathe oxygen up high

        I've been trained to navigate my futurist balloon after years
        a week will see me landing on the moon

        Raise a banner on the planets life grows everywhere in the
        manner of the mission

        Green Biosphere clean Biosphere castles in the air climbing
        the stair way to heaven when

        I breathe clouds beneath my window I see rockets in the sky

        I feel satellites in limbo I breathe oxygen up high

        Green Biosphere clean Biosphere castles in the air climbing
        the stair way to heaven when

        I breathe clouds beneath my window I see rockets in the sky

        I feel satellites in limbo I breathe oxygen up high

        I breathe clouds beneath my window I see rockets in the sky

        I feel satellites in limbo I breathe oxygen up high

Other fun transhumanist songs are Nuclear India (a celebration of the
Indian nuclear program: "When we control the fire // control the great
divide // design // extropica // the pride of nuclear India"), Science
of the Sacred ("Adam and Eve // must have been mistaken // science has
awakened // all living things // Our pleasuredome // science of the
sacred // covering the naked // like a renaissance. // One scalar
field // answers are demanded // laws have been abandoned") and many
songs about space exploration.

> I must give note here that I have already downloaded Max M's MP3 files.
> This is probably the most blatantly Extropian musicology of which I'm aware.
> The tunes have grown on me quite a bit (even though I had to download the
> lyrics to understand what he's saying) and I play the tunes often. Thanks
> for making them available Max!

I certainly agree!

Anders Sandberg Towards Ascension!
asa@nada.kth.se http://www.nada.kth.se/~asa/
GCS/M/S/O d++ -p+ c++++ !l u+ e++ m++ s+/+ n--- h+/* f+ g+ w++ t+ r+ !y