Re: Qualia and the Galactic Loony Bin

From: Harvey Newstrom (newstrom@newstaffinc.com)
Date: Tue Jun 22 1999 - 23:46:31 MDT

Sorry. Maybe I'm just up too late, but I don't see your points at all. I
minored in Biology and Psychology in college. I don't see your discussion
as being about brains at all. You seem to be using debating tactics and
persuasive techniques for argument, but I still haven't seen an actual
theory of functionality.

Maybe it is because consciousness is so ill-defined. Some aspects of
consciousness, such as memory recall, do seem to require connectivity
between neurons and a cause-effect relationship to recall memory. A random
pattern of disconnected neurons cannot search for related memories or bring
them into the thought process, or trigger the vocal movements needed to
speak the thought. I don't see how disjointed patterns with no
cause-and-effect can function in any predictable or logical manner.

At the very basic, I don't see how a disjointed pattern of disconnected
neurons can change to the next pattern state without causality. Why would
they not stay the same forever, or switch to random states that do not
mirror consciousness?

--
Harvey Newstrom <mailto://newstrom@newstaffinc.com> <http://newstaffinc.com>
Author, Consultant, Engineer, Legal Hacker, Researcher, Scientist.