Re: Nextropians: Where R they now?

From: Joe Jenkins (joe_jenkins@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jun 16 1999 - 13:38:33 MDT

--- Brian D Williams <talon57@well.com> wrote:

> From: "Harvey Newstrom" <newstrom@newstaffinc.com>
>
> >This is depressing. Is there anybody left from the original
> >Extropian List? Does anybody else remember the first Extropian
> >List, before they started charging money to post to the List? (It
> >later became free again, and changed sites at least once.)
>
> >I can't be the last of the original Extropians, can I?
>
> You're not. I was a member back then as well.

I was mostly a lurker back then, but I had enough foresight to archive all
of those wonderful posts. The Eudora email client I was using at the time
had a function that allowed you to mark each post with one of five
possible gradings. I remember weeks at a time when I gave almost every
post the highest grade. At times I remember wondering to myself - why am
I even bothering to grade these things if there all going to be A's.
There was a feeling that the words being passed back and forth were
somehow making history. The money I spent when it was a pay list was well
worth it. As soon as I started posting, the list went downhill :-)

A great thing for someone else who had these archives and enough available
time would be to select exceptional posts and find the original poster for
permission to re-post to the current public Extropians list. I don't see
myself as having enough time to do this any time soon.

Joe Jenkins
joe_jenkins@yahoo.com

"I not only think that we should tamper with Mother Nature, but I think
Mother wants us to." Unknown