Re: Nextropians.

From: Heywood Floyd (anon081@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jun 15 1999 - 17:14:52 MDT

--- hal@finney.org wrote:

>There are certain people who, for whatever reason,
>have developed an antipathy for Extropians and their >goals.
Sometimes this seems to be for personal >reasons, other times it is
ideological. I suspect that
>Heywood Floyd is such a person, and that he is merely >seeking to sow
discord on the list now.

Impressive analysis! Although you miss the mark. I have certainly not
developed antipathy for extropian goals - quite the opposite!! It is
my deep -empathy- for the goals of extropians that inspired my post.
Can you not also share the loss of what was once a fantastic list with
impressive potential, now degraded into flame wars, ideological
camping, rigidity, and dogmatic intolerance?

On a personal note, you are right in my attempt to sow discord on this
list. This list needs a serious kick in the ass. Either it break out
of its close-minded calcified bullshit or die an agonizing death!

This is a time for action! Either the Nextropians make their list
accessible, or we become nextropians ourselves and break out of the
stale shit and fragmented community that we have now become. What is
it going to take to bring all of these amazing minds back into the
fold? Perhaps...

Start a movement!
Call it nextropians, post-extropians, neo-extropian, hypertropians.
Names aren't important. I have heard many on this list already state
their dissatification with both the extropian principles and the list
degradation.

Perhaps your right on one account Hal, I am 'personally' disgusted with
where the list and the community (what there is left of it) has gone.

I once saw the extropian movement as a chance to link up with like
minds and spirits - a place where you didn't have to feel alone anymore
in your extropic heart.

The true extropic quest has become a rather lonely path again and that
saddens me immensely.

Heywood Floyd out for good.