Re: freedom vs even distribution

From: Anders Sandberg (asa@nada.kth.se)
Date: Sat Jun 12 1999 - 13:36:08 MDT

Paul Hughes <paul@i2.to> writes:

> Anders Sandberg wrote:
>
> > To make things even worse, a defecting posthuman might
> > make scratch monkey posthumans that would do the defection "of their
> > own free will" with no trace to the originator.
>
> I'm sorry Anders, I'm not understanding what you're saying here. Could you
> elaborate?

Sorry. Here is an example: TransAnders wants to help the benighted
humans to become posthumans just like it, but then TransOtter and the
others will attack him for being a threat to the Posthuman way of
life. So TransAnders creates an offspring posthuman which he tweaks
the basic values and cognitive patterns of slightly. After a long
minute of upbringing, discussions and gradual divergence occurs,
during which TransAnders subtly manipulates the offspring into
becoming a fierce but clever altruist willing to risk everything to
help the humans. In the end it does this, incurring the wrath of
everybody else, but never revealing any link to TransAnders since it
doesn't know it, and will never allow anybody to read its source code
while it is alive.

OK, awfully unethical, but shows the overall problem. Posthumans can
defect in very clever ways.

Anders Sandberg                                      Towards Ascension!
asa@nada.kth.se                            http://www.nada.kth.se/~asa/
GCS/M/S/O d++ -p+ c++++ !l u+ e++ m++ s+/+ n--- h+/* f+ g+ w++ t+ r+ !y