[HUMOR?]New Great Filter Theory

From: Dan Clemmensen (Dan@Clemmensen.ShireNet.com)
Date: Thu Jun 10 1999 - 17:41:47 MDT

I thought that we were well on our way toward
demonstrating a new reason that a civilization
could fail. However, the most recent data appears to
refute my theory.

The theory was that when the technology reaches a
certain point, the most creative portion of the
population joins mailing lists. This should be the
start of a positive feedback leading to the
singularity, but instead the inherent sociodynamic
laws of the universe cause the list participants to
fall into an endless loop of repetitive argumentation
on irrelevant subjects, finally leading to brain rot and
ultimately to the destruction of the civilization.

Today, for the first time in weeks, most of the
messages on the list were relevant and interesting.
before signing on, I had decided that I would leave
the list today, but now I'll give it a few more
days.