Re: META: LIST RULE ANNOUNCEMENT: Temporary Gun Issue Suspension

From: Lee Daniel Crocker (lcrocker@mercury.colossus.net)
Date: Thu Jun 10 1999 - 14:14:38 MDT

> I do have a substantial problem with Eugene's bias in favor
> of pro-gunners, which could constitute a cynical and self-serving
> reason for his volunteering as list moderator;...

I have no problem with the occasional personal attack on active
debaters; that's to be expected in an open forum. I've thrown a
few flames myself, and taken my share in return. But this wholly
groundless accusation of Eugene, one of the most level heads on
the forum, is inexcusable. I also have no problem letting an
opponent in a debate have the last word and letting it go; that's
just part of being an adult. But if I have 24 hours for a parting
shot, I choose to use it here to support the idea of moderation
in general and Eugene in particular.

In the archives, I find at most 12 total posts by Eugene that
might be construed as gun-related, and not one of them shows any
bias against your expressed opinion (and frequently-expressed at
that--the archive shows 32 posts by you on June 7 alone). Indeed,
Eugene often has a more European-influenced point of view on
political matters than some of the more radical libertarians on
the list (myself included), but I think he would make a fine
moderator, and I have no fear at all that any of my viewpoints
or any opposing viewpoint I want to hear would be selected on
the basis of his political opinions.

You owe Eugene (at least) an apology.

--
Lee Daniel Crocker <lee@piclab.com> <http://www.piclab.com/lcrocker.html>
"All inventions or works of authorship original to me, herein and past,