Re: The Placebo Effect - Self Deception at its Finest

From: QueeneMUSE@aol.com
Date: Thu Jun 10 1999 - 12:06:49 MDT

> As such, it would eventually be
>desirable to eliminate the placebo effect from our biology and/or
>substrate of reinstantiation. In the mean time, any ideas on how to have
>our cake and eat it too?

Well, athletes and artists have a nice set of tricks. They are sometimes
called "visualizations". Suspension of disbelief can be voluntary, as well as
being dupedd into beliefs. I think this is a good start.
Rituals are another source of fun ways to "evoke" the placebo effect in
achievements. Coaches can tell you things are getting better, keep up your
optimism, etc.