Re: Shooting of Japanese student did happen

From: Harvey Newstrom (newstrom@newstaffinc.com)
Date: Wed Jun 09 1999 - 10:12:43 MDT

--
Harvey Newstrom <mailto://newstrom@newstaffinc.com> <http://newstaffinc.com>
Author, Consultant, Engineer, Legal Hacker, Researcher, Scientist.
Michael S. Lorrey <mike@lorrey.com> wrote:

> A kid taking a parent's gun without permission is a stolen gun.
Agreed.
> Handguns themselves are not licensed. The owners are licensed to carry
concealed
> weapons.
Agreed.
> Someone who is not licensed to carry concealed and does is committing
> an unlicensed act. If its not their gun and the owner did not give them
> permission to have it, it is theft, and is therefore criminally obtained.
Agreed.  But this is an example of a legally-obtained gun being used in the
commission of a crime.  The study claimed that the incidence of this was
very low.  Careful reading of the study showed that they excluded stolen
guns from being counted.  Since most criminals have illegally-obtained guns,
the study excluded almost all gun crime statistics from their numbers.
I am not objecting to any specific claim of yours.  I am merely pointing out
that this study did not look at most crime numbers, but was carefully
crafted to produce the unrealistic numbers being quoted.  As I have said
before, I am not anti-gun, but I am anti-misleading-statistics.