The Placebo Effect - Self Deception at its Finest

From: Joe Jenkins (joe_jenkins@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jun 09 1999 - 11:30:41 MDT

Given the principles of extropians and other transhumans, by our very
nature, we seek to systematically eliminate all placebo effects one by
one, till we are left with none. Yet our biology seems to count on the
presence of this effect in order to maintain good health and/or recover
from negative health. This has been positively shown in many scientific
studies. I see this as a conflict of interest in the results of our long
term genetic evolution and the direction our goals are leading us to in
our short term memetic evolution. As such, it would eventually be
desirable to eliminate the placebo effect from our biology and/or
substrate of reinstantiation. In the mean time, any ideas on how to have
our cake and eat it too?

Joe Jenkins
jenkins@yahoo.com

"I not only believe we _should_ tamper with Mother Nature, I think mother
wants us to." Unknown