Re: Of Baboons, Weasels and Sneeches (Was: Re: STORY: The Transhumanist Racist)

From: den Otter (neosapient@geocities.com)
Date: Wed Jun 09 1999 - 04:42:09 MDT

----------
> From: Anders Sandberg <asa@nada.kth.se>
> "den Otter" <neosapient@geocities.com> writes:
>
> > > From: Michael S. Lorrey <mike@lorrey.com>

> > > One of my favorites. To me it illustrated how stupid the whole race/difference
> > > thing is...
> >
> > Actually, it's stories like this that are stupid; they support the myth that
> > the whole "race/difference thing" is just a matter of some irrelevant
> > exterior features
>
> I don't know about Dr Seuss (BTW, thanks everybody for explaining the
> reference to me), but in my story (if Dr Zuckermann was right) there
> were real differences. But technology can make these differences
> irrelevant or even useful.

True. The question is: will that technology ever become evenly
destributed? Note that while giving everyone an equal opportunity
is fine, it would of course be *very* stupid to intentionally make
some other race "superior". The same goes for artificial "races",
(i.e. AIs) of course.

> Then of course we can start arguing about
> how large the differences are in real life and if they are truly
> relevant compared to other factors;

Well, IMO it's all a matter of percentages; only a relatively small
portion of a race/group is responsible for its success/progress etc,
and for some reason this group has been marginalized in places
like Africa, while in Europe they managed to create a positive
feedback loop which allowed more and more people to realize
their "full" potential, thus fuelling further progress. So what is the key
ingredient here?