META: 2 small technical list change suggestions

From: Brian Atkins (brian@posthuman.com)
Date: Wed Jun 02 1999 - 19:00:54 MDT

mark@unicorn.com wrote:

> Brian Atkins [brian@posthuman.com] wrote:
> >Well there's a simple solution to that, add a few lines of
> >Perl to the mailing list software so it rejects any message
> >sent to the list without any subject keywords
>
> Problem: without a sophisticated AI, you're not going to be able to detect
> messages which have *incorrect* keywords, so there's an easy way for anyone
> to get around this kind of blocking.

Well that's simple, if someone is going to be that much of an
idiot, they are basically grouped into the category of spammers
and removed from the list. i.e. if Joe and whoever he has
enticed decide to use the keyword "META" in their gun debate
posts instead of the obviously proper GUNS, they get banned.
You know I believe it is in the "charter" for this list that
ExI agrees to arbitrate decisions like this. So we can leave
any sticky decisions to them.

I don't think this is an "authoritarian" response at all. We
are doing two simple things: a) adding a required bit of
syntax to message subject lines. This is the same as the list
requiring your mail software to at least provide a To:, From:,
etc. in the headers. A technical requirement. b) removing
people from the list that use "tricks" to inundate the list
members with messages they don't want to see (spammers). What
is wrong with these two things that we can't all agree to
implement them right now?

--
Join the ExI/>H SETI team today:
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/cgi?cmd=team_show&id=393-------------------------------------------------------------------