Approximating Hypothetical Beowulfs

From: Chandra Patel (chandrapa@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 02 1999 - 14:52:58 MDT

Hello list!

I'm trying to develop a formula to predict the Linpack benchmark rating of a
Beowulf. To make it easy I assume all nodes have the same processor type and
the same bus and memory specifications. The factors I've identified so far
are:

1) processor type (speed, flops rating, etc.)
2) memory (subfactors include memory access time, cache speed and size)
3) Ethernet capacity (throughput)

To remain sane, I'm disregarding operating system type assuming its running
Redhat). I'm also assuming the Beowulf admin software is not a factor
(assume Grendel). I'm ignoring disk drive speed also.

I think there are enough data points to do some rough approximation with
simple simultaneous equations but I need to determine if I've considered all
the factors.

If anyone can identify other factors please let me know. Optimally, I want
to produce a formula that will let me generate an approximation of what an X
node Beowulf with Y, Z, etc. characteristics will benchmark. I'll scale the
formula so there will be diminishing returns over time. Anyway, thanks in
advance for any assistance.

Chandra