Re: Guns

From: Michael S. Lorrey (mike@lorrey.com)
Date: Wed Jun 02 1999 - 07:40:48 MDT

Chuck Kuecker wrote:

> I am sure there were some who bewailed the end of coal use for heating
> homes as the end of the American way of life, and I personally know people
> who hate Diesel locomotives because they killed off the majestic (and
> filthy!) old steam engines. Both were the result of the inexorable march of
> progress, but some cannot let their minds change to keep up. When something
> that makes guns totally unneeded (personal force field?) is invented, there
> will still be those who will not give up their guns, or their hate of those
> who still keep guns...

I think though that if technology obsoletes guns, then their proponents and
users will merely be looked on as quaint historical preservationists, much as
users of muzzle loading weapons and civil/revolutionary war re-enactors are
looked on today. Who, for gods sakes, considers archers to be a deadly threat to
society, even though one can kill just as easily with a compound bow, and far
more silently, as with a gun? There are about as many archers as there are gun
owners in the US. I think that if I were the type to want or need to do someone
in, I would prefer using bow and arrow. Its as silent as a silencer, but you
don't need a permit to use it, and there are no federal regs requiring
background checks to purchase them. You can easily coat a hunting arrow with any
poison you like just to ensure that you acheive your goal. That more people are
not killed with bow and arrow I think is a testament to how stupid most
criminals are.

Mike Lorrey