RE: Mir Today, Gone Tomorrow

From: Chuck Kuecker (ckuecker@mcs.net)
Date: Wed Jun 02 1999 - 07:11:58 MDT

At 06:30 PM 6/2/99 +1000, Emlyn wrote:

>I'm buying a hard hat. Harmlessly dropping in the pacific sounds too
>much like raining fiery death on random bits of Australia.
>
>I hope they get funding to stay up there...

What would be the problem with boosting Mir to a HIGHER orbit? It took an
enormous amount of energy to get it all up there - how much more would it
take to preserve it for either future use or as a monument to the history
of space exploration?

It looks to me like the powers that be would rather enjoy a fireworks
disply costing billions than spend a few thousand to preserve. Remember
Skylab!

Chuck Kuecker