Re: den Otter's racism pollutes the extropian list

From: den Otter (neosapient@geocities.com)
Date: Tue Jun 01 1999 - 10:55:12 MDT

----------

At 03:37 PM 6/1/99 +0000, Damien Broderick wrote (apparently) in a
fit of paranoid hysteria:

 To which James Rogers <jamesr@best.com> duly responded:
> Actually, I think you misread the intent of the quote. This particular
> quote is often used as an ironic example of historical revisionism or
> perhaps cultural license. American cultural mythology paints Abraham
> Lincoln as a man whose great ambition was to end slavery and racism. In
> fact, he had no particular interest in these issues and only freed the
> slaves when it was to his political benefit. The only racism implied would
> be that of Lincoln.

Exactly, that was the point of the "sig". It was a (tongue-in-cheek)
response to someone else's Lincoln sig, namely:

> "Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
-Lincoln

Note that people such as Mr.Broderick have devalued the term
"racism" to a point where it has become little more than a brainless,
meaningless knee-jerker. A word used by bullies to quickly stigmatize
people & subjects and to stem all meaningful discussion (like "witch" in
the Middle Ages and "communist" in the fifties). It's sad to see this
kind of vile crap on a list that allegedly promotes intelligent, open-
minded discourse.