Re: Guns at school

From: Sasha Chislenko (sasha1@netcom.com)
Date: Sun May 30 1999 - 04:26:06 MDT

There have probably been precedents...

What was the average age of first gun ownership among
the early white settlers and Indians in America?
I read lots of reports about the Third world armies
recruiting kids from like 8 years old and up.
There are probably way more teens in the third
world openly carrying guns than adults in the U.S.
How many cases of mass shooting are there?
Considering that we live in the most civilized country
in the world (yeah, right!) with kids having a lot more
knowledge of engineering and social issues, facing more
serious law enforcement, and less exposed to direct
displays of extreme violence, the chances in U.S. must
be much, much lower.

If, on the other hand, the Third World teens are more
mature and able to carry firearms (they definitely do
carry other weapons), maybe that's because they haven't
been infantilized by overprotective governments?

I am still not sure about the teens, but in general, it seems
that the American population is becoming increasingly
infantile, paranoid, and neurotic under the protective
shield of the government, with adult people scared of
making eye contact in the street, many of them getting
lazy and fat, sitting among historically unprecedented
resources, nursing ridiculous irrational worldviews,
watching dumb soap operas and complaining that the society
doesn't sufficiently motivate them to learn and exercise.

How many of such people do you see in the Third World?

We may mourn a small group of kids who died from the shooting
spree, and forget that the state protection needed [?] to
decrease chances for such accidents, already make most of
the population rot alive, without being aware of it.
And then these people vote for more protection because they
are scared and lost.

I was recently surprised to learn that hitch-hiking is now
ILLEGAL in the "free" state of New York - and, apparently,
in many other states. Any other country that has this rule?

Where should we draw the lines of "protection"?

If there is a town where all citizens agree to give guns to
their kids, would the government allow it as an experiment?

Sasha Chislenko <http://www.lucifer.com/~sasha/home.html>
Intelligenesis Corp. <http://intelligenesis.net>