Re: retrograde technologies?

From: Damien Broderick (damien@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Sun May 30 1999 - 07:32:50 MDT

At 10:58 PM 28/05/99 -0700, Spike wrote (somehow, bless him, avoiding
mention of g**s):

> Can anyone think of an example, now or in any time
>past, where a society had it and later didn't?

Tasmanian aborigines lost fish hooks and perhaps (I can't swear to this)
even fire, after the place became an island some 15 K years back. I
believe there was a genetic bottleneck due to low human pop numbers.
Post-colonial theorists might argue that they *chose* to abandon these evil
technologies and culturally adapted otherwise.

Damien Broderick