Re: Genetic Sex change operations?

From: CurtAdams@aol.com
Date: Sat May 29 1999 - 21:25:29 MDT

In a message dated 5/29/99 20:05:37, umsunley@cc.umanitoba.ca wrote:

>ObExtropianism: If I were to want to move into a female clonde body for
>a couple years (being male) would the genetic engineers (expert
>systems?) have to exercise creativity in the design of the female body
>created from my genome, or is there a one to one correspondance?

It would require little creativity to make a non-fertile "female
version" of your genes. Certain genetic pecularities block
masculinization during fetal development and produce XY females
who are relatively normal except for some reproductive tract defects
which are not visible. They are, however, sterile.

Theoretically they could make a female version of you by doubling
the X chromosome although we haven't yet shown this works in people.
It is possible you'd get problems although unlikely.
Fruit fly females homozygous for the X chromosome are pretty normal.

There are some developmental issues with egg vs. sperm source of
genes which may or may not need to be resolved.