Re: Guns and Slaves

From: EWyatt794@aol.com
Date: Fri May 28 1999 - 17:45:55 MDT

In a message dated 5/28/99 7:41:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
joedees@bellsouth.net writes:

<< > "Joe E. Dees" wrote:

> > Slavery is illegal here.
> >

> Yeah. And concentration camps were illegal in the Weimar Republic, too.

 Getting sentimentally reminiscent on me? It won't happen here,
 because our government is built to prevent it (at least since
 Roosevelt). If we can kick Dick Nixon out, no one can stay beyond
 eight years, and the US is like a battleship; it turns slowly, so no
 one could throw the populace in camps before the honcho had to
 leave (besides, who would guard us all?). There's something called
 balance of powers here, too, involving an independent congress and
 Judiciary, I believe... >>

While I agree that the US government is built to avoid things like Weimar and
Nazi germany atrocities, I'd hardly say that " It won't happen here". While
the US may be like a battleship, battleships *do* turn around, even if it
takes longer than other ships (esp when you assuage fears of the "slippery
slope" the whole way round)

William