Re: Joe and Gun Control

From: Mark Phillips (clay8@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu May 27 1999 - 16:20:38 MDT

Some solid, empirical research is always nice to check-out. I suggest that
both the "gun-nuts" AND "anti-gun nuts" check out Prof. John Lott's new
book, MORE GUNS, LESS CRIME (U. of Chicago Press, 1998). I personally am
somewhat ambivalent on this issue (as I am also, e.g., on abortion) but
ultimately I tend to be a rather strong 2nd Amendment person, and favor
right-to-carry laws (though, admittedly, from a common-law/libertarian
perspective such legislation--except when rationalized as "codification"--is
rather jurisprudentially redundant). Also important is just about any
article or book by Stephen Halbrook, such as ...THAT EVERY MAN BE ARMED
(Independent Institute, 1992); he also has a excellent discussion of what is
and ISN'T covered by the 2nd Amendment in an article (can't recall the
title) appearing in the Journal, Contemporary Legal Issues back in the
mid-80's (1986, I think, but I'm not certain, and can't get the cite at this
moment.

Best regards to all!

MCP

picture