Enhanced Senses

From: david_musick@juno.com
Date: Tue May 18 1999 - 03:27:06 MDT

Anders wrote:

"What about sonar? I have always wanted to have 360 degree sonar to give
a sense of the surroundings. It could even be mapped onto the skin,
making the surroundings touch you ("A comfortable little office you
have...")."

A fascinating and attractive idea. Because I ride my bicycle on the
street often, and because I have frequently been reminded of the fact
that large numbers of motorists drive as though I am not there, I have
often longed for this ability. But, like always, I must make do with
what I have, so I have spent a lot of time developing my sense of hearing
and my ability to generate a rough model of my surroundings based on
auditory information. Now when I hear cars around me, I have a much
better knowledge of where they are, how fast they are moving and which
direction they are moving.

Technological augmentation of sensory abilities is certainly exciting,
and so is the fuller development and utilization of our existing senses.
We are not ready for the new until we can excell with what we already
have.

David_Musick@juno.com

Pay attention to as much as possible;
it is difficult to know ahead of time
what information will be useful later.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]