Re: cloning an extinct tiger

From: Jocelyn Brown (jocelynb@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu May 13 1999 - 17:54:10 MDT

That is awesome. Australian wildlife is something I am very much interested in, and the thylacine was a fascinating animal. If they can bring it back, it would be a great example of the good technology can do. Of course, re-introducing it to the wild would be a problem. Due to feral cats, the predator-prey balance is already way off down there. And the genetic poos wouldn't be very diverse, but it sounds like it might be an improvement over the one that cheetahs share.

For those who are interested, here are links to two thylacine websites, the second of which has an actual video of the last known thylacine.

http://www.life.umd.edu/classroom/zool328m/Order/Marsupialia/TasmanianWolf.jpg

http://www.delm.tas.gov.au/esl/tigerw.html

Jocelyn Brown
jocelynb@mindspring.com
"I am a part of all that I have met." -- Lord Alfred Tennyson
"A man is only as good as what he loves."-- Saul Bellow