Re: Can You Live Forever? Esquire article

From: Natasha Vita-More (natasha@natasha.cc)
Date: Mon May 10 1999 - 20:34:51 MDT

At 07:16 PM 5/10/99 -0700, J.R. wrote:

>The preservation of human biology does not contradict or disagree with
>extropy (or with you I imagine).
>
>What Wilson referred to in his last paragraph of _Consilience_ has to do
>with prosthesis, not with augmentation. Extropian augmentation amplifies
>human biology. Entropic prosthesis merely supplies crutches and accessories
>to devolving organisms.

I will have to debate this with you, J.R. Wilson is talking about anything
nonbiological, I believe. I take his "ancient heritage" as meaning our
human biology and remaining the same species. Why doesn't he recognize
that it is part of human nature to change ourselves, not that it is
unnatural to do so.

Indeed, we must be vigilant in using careful planning and respect for our
environment. Albeit, this does not prevent us from using our intelligence
to plan and progress wisely.

Technological augmentations in extending life maximally will alter biology
forever. Introducing new concepts broadens the ecology, thus altering it.

Natasha