Re: Thomas Jefferson; was: spike, the technobarbarian

From: J. R. Molloy (jr@shasta.com)
Date: Sat May 08 1999 - 22:12:27 MDT

John Marsh wrote,
I believe if Jefferson were alive today and in a powerful position in Washington, he would be making very positive and lasting effects on American society. Perhaps we would not be currently enduring the tryannical assault on our liberties currently going on in the name of safety and the Drug War.

Shades of William Jefferson Clinton! Except that if Thomas Jefferson had the White House in 1998, Monica would have become a mom by now.

As for what the ancients (Confucius, Moses, Solomon, Socrates, Jesus, Maimonides, Nostradamus) would say about today's problems, I guess they would first laugh at the ridiculous lives most of us live, then they would cry at the realization that we will die in this post-Enlightenment world, never having directly experienced what they experienced. (Except perhaps for Confucius. That prodigious bureaucrat would probably just sit and stare into the superciliousness of it all.)

Cheers,

--J. R.