Re: memetic war

From: GBurch1@aol.com
Date: Tue Apr 20 1999 - 06:29:01 MDT

I'm on the run at work for the rest of the week, so detailed response to any
of the interesting stuff going on here will have to wait a few days, but I'd
like to make a quick reply to Lyle's note about my flippant comment about
Picasso and Ted Turner (what was I THINKING when I wrote THAT???).

My comment was not intended to indicate that the examples I gave were by any
means self-consciously engaged in memetic engineering (although Picasso
certainly was). Rather, it was simply to indicate that "culture work" can be
lucrative and/or influential in realms outside of the purely memetic realm of
culture per se. You certainly don't have to know what a "meme" is to do such
things.

As for my discussion of making or not making money in the work of propagating
memes (transhuman and extropian memes, in particular), my point was to
communicate that such an effort is, in my opinion, part and parcel of
bringing about a world that will produce the particular technological fruits
of thetranshuman agenda we are pursuing. But cf my point about "free
riding": One doesn't necessarily have to an active meme-propagator to get at
least some benefit from the efforts of others who are.

        Greg Burch <GBurch1@aol.com>----<gburch@lockeliddell.com>
     Attorney ::: Vice President, Extropy Institute ::: Wilderness Guide
        http://users.aol.com/gburch1 -or- http://members.aol.com/gburch1
                         "Civilization is protest against nature;
                  progress requires us to take control of evolution."
                                      -- Thomas Huxley