Re: ethical problem? Some kind of problem, anyway...

From: Eugene Leitl (eugene.leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de)
Date: Sun Apr 18 1999 - 23:08:28 MDT

Scott Badger writes:

> But I am compelled to comment further:
>
> Gene Leitl wrote:
>
> "even if chances of it [cryonics] working are currently small."
>
> I agree with Jeff Davis who states that reanimation for cryonic suspendees
> is an almost certainty...eventually. It should be added that important
> advances have been made recently in the efficacy of cryoprotectants that
> significantly reduce fracturing thanks to 21st Century Medicine, and further
> advances are on the near horizon.

True, advances has been made, and the development still continues. The
main impetus of 21CM's research is not directed towards reducing
fracturing though: that can be trivially solved by storing neuros at
-130 C, e.g. in a lab freezer. 21CM is working on robust vitrification
cum low cryoprotectant toxicity. No available protocol currently
utilizes these advances -- please observe the occurance of "currently"
in above quote. So if you'd happen to be dying now, that's tough
luck. Let's hope things will improve, and quickly.

ciao,
'gene