Re: NOW(-ish): Education

From: hal@rain.org
Date: Sun Mar 28 1999 - 13:37:44 MST

In a biography I read recently I saw a man described as a "lifelong
student". It's very important to cultivate the habit of learning as a
lifelong endeavor. There's no reason you can't continue to learn new
subjects all through your life.

A school environment can provide structure and motivation to help you
focus your efforts. It's like dieting, or stopping smoking. Some people
can do it on their own, others do better as part of a group.

Hopefully we will see more experiments along these lines. Some colleges
are starting to offer online courses. It would be interesting to hear
if anyone has any experiences with them.

Hal