Re: FASHION: The Extropian T-Shirt

From: Scott Badger (wbadger@psyberlink.net)
Date: Tue Mar 09 1999 - 09:24:09 MST

>The Extropian T-Shirt is here!
>
>http://pobox.com/~sentience/t-shirt/extropian.jpg
>
>181K, 8.5" x 11" at 72 dpi.

[snip]

>Contents of Extropian T-Shirt:
>(In text of assorted colors and sizes.)
>
>WE
>are the
>EXTROPIANS
>WE are the champions of
>ULTRATECHNOLOGY
>WE will drag this planet,
>kicking and screaming,
>into the
>awesome and unknowable
>FUTURE
>
>Immortality Colonizing space Artificial Intelligence Intelligence
enhancement
>Nanotechnology Neurohacking Uploading Superintelligence Singularity
>
>bottom left:
>WE will do it before
>our parents die of old age
>
>bottom right:
>©1999 by Eliezer S. Yudkowsky
>http://pobox.com/~sentience/singularity.html
>
>top left:
>WE believe in science,
>intelligence, freedom,
>and rational thought.
>
>top right:
>WE do not believe in
>ignorance, pain, stupidity,
>death, or income taxes,
>and we intend to do
>something about it.

>Eliezer S. Yudkowsky

Congratulations Eliezer. And you thought we would would reject you?! I,
too, greatly enjoyed your banner. Just one section concerns me a bit,
though. Call me skittish or nit-picky, but how do we reconcile the recent
discussions of how Extropians embrace the principle of "non-initiation of
force" and your phrase, "WE will drag this planet, kicking and screaming,
into the awesome and unknowable FUTURE." I wonder how lay persons are
likely to react to this statement. Might I offer, "WE will lead this planet
into the awesome and unknowable FUTURE." I'd buy one with that edit. Keep
the copyright. What do you think?

Scott