SCI: Light speed in water < fission particle speed

From: KPJ (kpj@sics.se)
Date: Mon Feb 22 1999 - 14:23:47 MST

It appears as if "Danny" <CALYK@aol.com> wrote:

|Such as in the bending of space, like with black holes, they suck light in at
|like twice their speed. So it is in this case that light is travelling
|faster, relatively. But it's also implied it goes the same speed, just uses a
|wrinkle in time. Light moving through water or whatever also goes the same
|speed, its just refracted.

Do you claim that light does not go slower in water?

If you do, then you are in error.
If you do not, disregard this text.

                              - - - - - -

Neutrons in a fission reactor move faster than light does in the water.
This causes "Cherenkov radiation", a blueish (most of it is UV) light
without any apparent direct source, in the reactor tank.

Mallet discovered it in 1926, observed that the light had a continuous
spectrum, no band structure like fluorescent light.

Studied by Pavel Alekseyevich Cherenkov (1904-1990) from 1934-1938. He proved
that it was not a fluorescence effect, that the light was partially polarized.
Frank and Tamm explained it 1927.

P.A.Cherenkov, I.M.Frank and I.Y.Tamm shared a Nobel prize in 1958 for their
work on the Cherenkov radiation.

Lay-human discussion:
    <URL:http://nova.nuc.umr.edu/~ans/cerenkov.html>

More science oriented discussion: