Re: Vinge in strange company

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Wed Feb 10 1999 - 13:18:14 MST

hal@rain.org wrote:

> Four of these authors are, unsurprisingly, science fiction writers.
> What's Machiavelli, the 16th century political philosopher, doing there?

Not my fault, but I like Machiavelli. At least he's a clear thinker
most of the time. His advice with respect to flattery is a particularly
good example of practicality untouched by moral extremes: {When anyone
can tell the truth about you, you lose their respect; but when nobody
can tell the truth, you can't get any advice: Therefore, get just a few
advisers who can tell the truth about you but continue to punish anyone
else.} This is not advice I intend to follow, but it clearly admits the
existence of the problem and proposes a practical solution. I respect that.

"Nor let him ever believe that a state can always make safe choices; on
the contrary, let him think that he must make only doubtful ones;
because this is in the order of things, that one never tries to avoid
one inconvenience without incurring another; but prudence consists of
knowing how to recognize the kinds of inconveniences, and to take the
least sad for good."
        -- Machiavelli, "The Prince"

--
        sentience@pobox.com         Eliezer S. Yudkowsky