Re: TECH/NEWS: Net's Ugly Giants

From: Michael S. Lorrey (retroman@together.net)
Date: Thu Jan 28 1999 - 17:48:32 MST

Alexander 'Sasha' Chislenko wrote:

> Just read in Edupage:
> NEW NO. 1 GATEWAY TO THE INTERNET
> GeoCities Inc. is being bought by Yahoo! Inc. for $4.58 billion,
>
> Anybody has any ideas why large-scale boring and annoying services are
> taking over the Net business, and whether this process can ever reverse?

Keep in mind that most of the economy is made up of large scale, boring and
annoying products and services. Wing-nuts, gin-su knives, the clapper, its all
crap but it makes the world go round. I applaud the migration of 'boring'
humdrum daily economic transactions to the web. It gives the elitists the
motivation to invent the next great thing, just to maintain their exoteric
stature, the drive to be different than the mainstream. When geeks are the
mainstream, whats a smart guy to do but become a mega-geek. Ha ha, nobody can
catch me now....!

Mike Lorrey