Re: Nanotech Arms Race

From: Spike Jones (spike66@ibm.net)
Date: Tue Jan 26 1999 - 23:23:52 MST

EvMick@aol.com wrote:

> Aren't you referring to fission? It seems to me that fusion might actually
> scale down. After all...the minimium ingredients are two hydrogen atoms.

yup. my brain was out fission when i wrote the original post. after
thinking about it, i realized we are over-restricting our view with
the traditional fission chain reaction scenario, the one that wont
scale down. fusion maybe, if you can figure out a way to get two hydrogen
nucleii to contact on a nano scale, but consider: another possibility might be
to use a small radioactive sample without chain reacting anything: just
by somehow capturing the high energy electrons that come off the
decaying nucleii, or perhaps the alpha particles. either way, we neednt
think only in terms of the big nuclear reactions that we are so familiar
with way up here on the meter scale. spike